Sunday, June 12, 2016

Gratitude and Goodbyes

It's become a commonplace in motivational (and educational) speech these days to point out that an ability to experience gratitude fully is one of the key components of happy, fulfilled life. That being the case, I am all set up for bliss right now.

This is my last blog as Head of Summers-Knoll School, and I am overwhelmed with the warmth and kindness shown to me by parents, staff, and students alike. There has been an outpouring of love and appreciation that completely humbles me. In turn I want to share my appreciation here.

This has been an unquantifiable journey for me. I have learned more than I would ever have dreamed, and grown in ways I could not have anticipated before I took on this work. I have been helped along the way by a changing but always dedicated board, led and manned by extraordinary people. The teachers and staff I have been privileged to work with are brilliant, deep, thoughtful, sensitive, funny, skillful and intensely creative. The families who have shared their children with the school have been diverse, involved, insightful, adventurous, helpful, and wonderful partners in support of their children's growth. The students themselves have grown and continue to grow into confident, independent, thinking, questioning, feeling, engaged, passionate, communicative people who all have my heart now and forever. Thank you all for your part in making this school the home it has been for me throughout these amazing years.

Thank you to all who organized and attended my farewell party. Thank you to all the students and staff who contributed to my lovely book, Dragon Breath and Unicorn Magic, and to all of you who wrote farewell messages in my notebook. Many, many thanks to everyone who contributed to the Library Fundraiser; the idea that any room in the school will still be known as "Joanna's..." warms my heart, but the library especially brings me so much joy. Thank you, thank you.

Many of you have asked about where my life is leading me next. I had originally planned to move back to England completely, but as time has gone on I have realized that I am not willing to put myself in the position of missing my friends here as much as I now miss my family in England. So I am planning a flexible lifestyle, freelancing as a writer, and as a consultant for progressive education. My goal is to be able to make my own schedule, and spend significant stretches of time in England as well as keeping my life here in Ann Arbor intact. I will be doing a lot of theatre, beginning with a production of one of my own plays at the Yellow Barn opening at the end of July.  Many of you know that theatre was a huge part of my life before I became Head of School; it is all set to become that way again.  I am excited at the possibilities the future holds, not least because I will be able to stay in touch with everyone here who matters so much to me.

Thank you again for being part of this community, for sharing your children with the school and with me, and for all the enriching experiences we have shared. In the words I offer our graduates as they leave each year: You're my favorite.



No comments:

Post a Comment